2.07.2010

Sabah Iki (Morning 2)

(This is from an email I sent my Anne (mom) early Thursday morning
 
Gunaydın--Good Morning!
     My cup is full. From the moment I arrived this family (and their many retainers) have made me feel like a celeb. The cook, Döndü, who is an older lady, is tickled pink everytime I use a Turkish word and expresses to me everytime I am in the kitchen how excited she is to learn some english as I learn Turkish at the same time.
     I spent all of yesterday making crafts, reading books, eating flavorful HEALTHY food, playing wii fit (ask justin what that is), watching Wizards of Waverly Place in Turkish (Tell Jordan I even watched an epısode of Hannah Montana for the first time), reading books and playing an itty-bitty guitar.
    But all day I was listening close and ask ask askimg questions. "Bu Teurkçe ne demek?" --What is the Turkish word for this?--The eldest daugter, Selın who is my best teacher and closest friend so far, praises me and marvels at my ability to speak. "You can read Turkish!" sure I can say it, I just don't know what I am saying! I am carrying my little alien notebook everywhere and wishing I had a bigger one. The girls--even down to little Yasemin all love to write their favorite words ın my notebook for me. So I now have all the colors, names for animals like horses and bees, weather, food, etc.
 
Well, I think thats about it right now. They all sleep until 10:30--thats rıght--10:30am now that ıts break so I have about another 2.5 hrs to sleep before Kahvaltı (a delicious breakfast of cheese, olives, tomatoes bread and tea) I think I will quick munch on a few more prunes and what I thınk are drıed fıgs, dates, and cherries; then head back up to my 3rd floor bedroom my kingsized bed, and the best part--the secret balcony I just discovered last night with an AMAZING view of Beykoz! 
 
I love you. I love the family. Tell them so. This is SUCH an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment