2.08.2010

Drivers

I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T. do you know what that means?
     Because the Turks, apparently do not. It is apparent to me after only one week that Turkish children--especially girls--aren't nearly as autonomous as Americans. The girls have everything done for them. From zipping their coats to cutting their food. Well, ok, only the 8yr old needs help with her clothes, but the idea is, they are expected to do much less then the average American child. Where this sheltering is really apparent however, is in travelling.
   In this family we have anywhere from 1-3 drivers at our beck and call at all times. When the drivers pick up the girls for, say, gymnastics, they come to the door of the house, walk us out, open the car door, walk us in to gymnastics, sit for the whole two hours, help us in the car, and when we get home, once again lead us up the walk and wait until the maid answers the door. Juxtapose this with my little brother and sister who scarf down breakfast, yank on their back packs often forgetting their coats and tear out the door to the bus stop where they push and shove until the bus comes.
     Now you would think that the fact that they are being carefully accompanied by the Nanny who was imported all the way from the States for just this purpose would mean they don't need to necessarily dog the children's steps the 20 feet from the curb to the door. Especially in a tightly gated neighborhood like Beykoz Konaklari.
     You would think.

     I however, am chafing at the supervision. When I told the mother that I was hoping that I could have friday as my day off this week so that I could go out with the AuPair who lives with the girls' cousins who has been here for 5 months already she expressed worry about me going out on my own (even though I am going to be with the other nanny). That's very sweet. And it makes me feel like a beloved part of this home that they wory weather I am warm enough, have had enough to eat, and if I am safe riding a bus for 20 minutes until I meet up with the other AuPair but the truth is, I have been taking care of myself for a long time now. I think I can handle a little rain.



 And to think: My parents were afraid for my safety!

No comments:

Post a Comment