1.16.2010

Going Forth as an Instrument of Peace (response to <3)

Dear Bishop,
When I very first started considering and looking for a job as a Nanny, Paris or Switzerland were exactly the places I wanted to go. My only thought was to travel and improve my French. I wanted to eat a baguette at a Parisian Cafe, wear berets and become addicted to Nutella. But my two years in Hawaii changed me. The entire philosophy of the University seemed to animate the question posed by President Kennedy: "Ask not what your country can do for you, as what you can do for your country". I took classes about culture. I took classes about Peace. I took classes that help me understand myself and all people. At my graduation I was instructed to "Go forth to be an instrument of Peace Internationally". With my diploma I was accepting President McKay's challenge to all graduates of our school.
    Now I have a literal opportunity to fulfill this mission. I understand that the best way most graduates can and will fulfill this creed will be to raise righteous and god-loving families. However, for a few of us, the mission of peace must a a more literal interpretation. I don't claim that by going to Turkey I will be able to solve the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. But at this moment there is an insistent and valiant voice in my ear insisting that this is where I will be doing the most good. Peace will only be accomplished when we break the walls of fear, ignorance, and resentment. After this year, I intend for at least one Turkish family to have not only a respect for one American girl, but a love. And I will return with not only respect, but love and familiarity with a Muslim family. It is my only prayer that like a ripple in a pool, that love will cause a chain reaction of reconciliation.

I wanted to let you be one of the few--if only--people who hear my reasoning for making the decision I have. I leave my faith in God to protect me and know that whatever happens, I have made an honest and well intentioned choice. I will accept any possible consequeses be they positive, or final.

No comments:

Post a Comment