5.11.2010

EXTRA Extra, read all about it!

News update, streaming ticker style:

1. FINALLY FOUND BEYKOZ (I thought that I was living in Beykoz, but I was wrong. The real Beykoz if gorgeous and quaint and by the sea) last week when I accidentally took the Mecidiyekoy bus in the wrong direction and followed the coast of the Bosporus north away from the Bridge. Reaction: BEAUTIFUL!

2. WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS - after making a joke about taking out a personal add in the local paper to find other nannies in the area (as my social circle is nonexistent in Asia), I decided it wasn't such a joke after all and actually put a want ad on the forum of one of the expat websites I am networked in (http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31825). I have since been discovered by a nanny HERE in my very complex who has an entire group of Nanny friends here in the neighborhood. We all have a date to lie around the pool across from my house tomorrow. And I actually did get one hit on my post on the website from a South African girl who just got here, and will hopefully meet her one afternoon next week.

3. 3 MONTHS IS THE CONFIDENCE AND INDEPENDENCE THRESHOLD - for some reason, as of last week, all reservations are lifted about travelling alone and exploring here. I suddenly feel that I know enough of the city and language to move rather comfortable all by myself. Quel relief!

4. I'M THE NANNINATOR! - My long weeks of confusion and pussy footing around the family, children, maids, and drivers is over. I am now fully stepping into my role of teacher and ADULT with the girls. I AM in charge. I WILL have respect. And NO, you cannot have baklava for dinner!

1 comment:

  1. Well done on all of it! Especially #2. If you don't work somewhere there are other foreigners (like in a school or whatever), it's SO HARD to find other people like you to hang out with. Having a core group of expat mommies here has saved my life, and made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete