4.06.2010

DENIZ TAKSI and tonight's winning ticket holder is....

It occurs to me that some of you, my dear readers may be under the impression that I am not happy, or that my employers are in fact jailers...or that the Turkish culture is utterly ridiculous. I find it imperitive at this point, just after my 2 monthiversary of the big move to clarify a few points...

      First off...as far as jobs go I really hit the AuPair lottery. By some twist of fate I managed to connect with the most incredible family. The girls are funny, active, absolutely beautiful, and as they slowly warm up to me more and more of a comfort as I am so far away from my own dear younger siblings. How many people get paid to play games like Go Fish and Sorry? Not many, I suspect!
     My boss is also an absolute gem. She is one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in real life...sometimes I feel like I am working for a princess. But she is inquisitive, hard working, somewhat and 100% devoted to her children. PLUS she is one of the few people I have met here who gets and appreciates my humor! I don't feel it too much to say that I am really coming to see Sebnem as my friend.
     The father is openly and gregariously affectionate with all the girls in his life. Seldom have I seen a father who kisses his children or tell them he loves them with such volume and such vehemence, anywhere. In a culture that values men more then women, this is truly unique.
     And for the benefits...I have a nice, VERY private room all to myself. Tucked away all by myself on the third floor I really feel that I have my own separate and sacrosanct area. (The queen sized bed, private balcony and beautiful private bathroom help too!)
     I do work hard often...and while I am doing more cleaning then I had expected too...there is a pride in knowning that I can help and that I am earning my keep, both with the skills I am teaching and the skills I am learning (ironing...ick!)
     So in case any of you, my readers, had gotten the impression that I was unhappy, know that I am profoundly happy here. I am suffering from no more homesickness then I experienced during college (which was comparatively low for how far away I was) Every job, every situation, every life has its highs and its lows. If my blog sometimes comes across as a rant, know that this is a safe place for me where I can complain...and in a way organize my own confused thoughts at times. I am not ashamed of anything I have said or will say in the future in this forum. I aim in all things to follow the truth as closely as perception, imagination, and often comic entertainment allow.

*     *     *


Last month my friend and I took a Deniz Taksi from Kavacik to Ortakoy, its a motorboat you hire to take you from one side of the Bosporus to the other.  It is a great way to get some fresh air and save yourself potentially an hour of travel time in heavy traffic. Its fast, fun, and only costs 5 lira total--so the more friends you bring--the better! Seeing as it costs 3lira a piece to take the otobus across the bridge (then another 1.50+ to take a bus to ortokoy it is by far your best bet money wise!











Fatih Sultan Mehmet Korprusu (the northern of the 2 bridges that span the Bosporus)

 











P.S. I can't believe how much weight I have lost even since this photo was taken a month ago! I look like a diff person in the face especially!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. I have a post I would like to call your attention to. I realize it may be a bit early for some of the questions but other questions- with your first impressions still very clear in your mind, you may be able to answer better than most people. http://nomadicjoe.blogspot.com/2010/04/seven-questions-for-ex-pats-in-turkey.html

    ReplyDelete